[Consol] una idea, y otros detalles...

Cicloid cicloid at psychoaktive.ws
Thu Jan 15 22:43:17 CST 2004

Primer asuntillo.- me pregunto si alguien ya puede dar especificaciones
para ver lo del diseño de gafete y constancia... para ya hacer algunos
bosquejos y ponerlos a el juicio critico de la lista...

segundo asuntirijillo.- se me ocurre que vayan con Elektra, para buscarlo
como anunciante, ya que me entere por un correo que me llega de
Lindows.com que las computadoras de Elektra estan precargadas con Lindows
en Español como su sistema operativo nativo... e incluso esta anunciado
como el revendedor oficial de Lindows en Mexico, lo cual puede ser una
buena oportunidad de patrocinador o la venta de un pequeño stand .

Les copio el correo para que lo lean...

Michael's Minute: Linux for $12.50 a Week

Most households in the world have yet to own their first PC, because it's
simply been too expensive. Coming up with $1,000 or more for a PC (current
PC average is $700) plus a monitor and an office suite is simply out of
reach for many people, especially in emerging markets. What if a buyer
could pay $12.50 a week? And for that small weekly payment, they would
receive a powerful new PC with a monitor and speakers, plus all the
software to do basic computing including a complete office suite? Well
that's exactly what's happening in Mexico, and it is having impressive
early success, with Linux making it possible.

Today, we're kicking off a partnership with Elektra to bring computers to
all of Mexico. Elektra has over 850 stores throughout Latin America,
specializing in electronics. They recognize that using Linux could open
the door to much more affordable PC offerings and new profitable business
for them. Working with Elektra, we've tailored our Spanish version for
their unique needs. Since many of their customers will be first-time PC
owners, we've included a multimedia tutorial in Spanish, that walks them
through computing basics. We also customized the systems to work well with
Elektra's low-cost dialup Internet services. Finally, we included an
office suite so users could perform advanced computer operations. The
finished product is an easy-to-use, Mexico-tailored computer system for
about $600 US.

Perhaps most innovative, is the financial flexibility that Elektra offers
on these computer systems to make them practical for many Mexican families
who have previously been unable to afford computers. With an adjusted per
capita gross income of about $800 a month, coming up with $600 is a large
sum for Mexico's middle class. So Elektra offers weekly payments of
roughly $12.50 as an alternate payment option. At those prices, desktop
computing becomes a reality for a large percentage of the population that
was previously priced out of the market.

Visit lindows.com/mexico

During our pre-launch period Elektra has shipped more than 25,000
computers, and we expect that number to grow substantially with this
official release and stocking in all their stores. To help support this
influx of new Linux users, we're kicking off our community support site at
http://www.lindows.com/mexico. Here users can find store locations, get
immediate help from the community, chat with other Linux users and help
encourage the growth of Linux in Mexico.

I believe that this is just the start of large deployments of Linux-based
computers in Latin America. I'm also confident that Elektra is blazing a
trail that other retailers in emerging markets will adopt to bring
affordable computers to their own countrymen as well. Today there are
about 500 million computer users online, how long before we're at a
billion?

-- Michael

Saludos,

Gustavo Barron