[Consol] Re: Lofi Dewanto - CONSOL

Blasius Lofi Dewanto dewanto at gmx.de
Thu Jan 23 00:39:18 CST 2003

Hi Gunnar,

> I have not directly contacted you before - I am (or, rather, was forced to
> be) the coordinator for CONSOL. After what our friends at UPN have told us
> about your job, I am _very_ happy we will have you here in a couple of
> days!
Yup, me too!

> As a guest speaker, you will have a keynote talk. You sent us two talks:
> 'Open Source E-Learning Platforms' and 'Enterprise Java Open Source
> Architecture (EJOSA)', both two hour long tutorials. So, here goes my list
> of questions:
>
> - We are very purist here. We do not like Java, as we consider it to be
>   non free. About your talk on EJOSA - Is it tied to Sun's Java? Would it
>   work with Kaffe, GNU Classpath (currently still in development AFAIK),
>   or is there any other free, non-Sun Java implementation you are aware of
>   it would work with?
>   Please understand us on this one - If we scheduled your talk on Java,
>   and it is tied to Sun's... Well... As our guest, we would be completely
>   endorsing Java. And many people in our community, most of them I might
>   extrapolate, would not agree.
I'm aware of those Open Source JVMs. It's a pitty that they are not
stable yet for a production site. At this moment we only have 3
choices of JVMs: Sun, IBM and HP... for *production site*. But there
are choices there. For Linux IBM JDK would be the best choice for
example.

Anyway, EJOSA -> EJOSA-Template is a KISSS (Keep It Short Simple and
Stupid) process for a component-based application development with the
most up-to-date Java technologies and only uses Open Source components
(except of the JVM - but anyway you can choose between Sun, IBM or HP -
choices are always good, IMO).

As researchers we cannot ignore Java, because of many of its advantages:
-> OO, Components, Aspects
-> Write Once Run Anywhere
-> Learn Once Use Everywhere

I think, it is a very good perspective to all Linux fans, to see those
new technologies in Java... We are always open for good stuffs, right?

> - Do you want your talk to be a keynote speech? (keynotes are 90 minute
>   long sessions, and are the only sessions that are *not* run in parallel
>   with others. The audience is thus much broader than when talking about
>   tutorials or regular talks)  Would you prefer it staying as a tutorial
>   and submitting something else as a keynote? (Or, of course, you can
>   choose only to have the tutorials)
For a keynote speech I would like to talk about:

"Linux and Java: Brother and Sister?".

It is interesting to see how the combination of both can break the
mighty power of Microsoft world, IMO ;-)

Best regards,

BTW. I hope everything is okay in Mexico... I heard about the
earthquake today.

Another questions: Do you provide pc or laptops for the presentation?
Can I use OpenOffice for the presentation? Do you also have a Windows
pc? Don't worry just for showing WORA ;-)
--
Blasius Lofi Dewanto
OpenUSS - Open University Support System
E-Mail   : dewanto at uni-muenster.de
ICQ      : 39343280