[Consol] Acerca de la plática de Roblimo

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Mon Jan 20 08:10:41 CST 2003

A ver si les interesa el rollo...

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf at campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 07:14:40 -0500
From: robin <robin at roblimo.com>
To: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf at campus.iztacala.unam.mx>
Subject: Re: Confirmation - You _are_ invited to Mexico!

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Hi, and excuse me for the delay - I have been through hell this last
> couple of days... Turns out that IBM will pay us... But not before the
> conference, so I have been looking everywhere for someone to lend us
> money. I think I found someone, but I will not have the money until next
> week.

Please excuse my delay in return. My schedule is hectic, as I'm sure you
can imagine.

Tampa airport is fine, and as long as I leave and return at hours the
shuttle bus is running, that's what I take -- $44 round trip from
Bradenton. I only use cabs if my flight leaves before 7 a.m. or I get in
after 9 p.m. -- hours when the shuttle doesn't run.

Hotel is, as I said, up to you and your budget. I just wanted to make
sure you knew I don't require 5-star accomodations or any other special
treatment.

As far as e-government and "computer community centers," I share your
skepticism. They are like a fad among governments right now, especially
in countries that want to suddenly jump from "low tech" to "high tech"
in a few years. I can lay out a hypothetical plan for how to set up
local computer centers and what they can do, and how to do them with
free software. Indeed, I can make the case that they can be truly useful
*only* with free/open source software... because this is the only way
they can help young people learn how software works by looking at the code.

I will stress a point I keep making over and over because it is true:
That the next Linus Torvalds or Bill Joy is not necessarily going to be
either European or American; that for all we know the greatest potential
computer genius of the 21st century is a girl in a small Mexican village
right now, living in poverty, and that only way the world will ever
benefit from her talents is if we make sure she has access not just to
computers and the Internet, but to the code behind the software that
runs the computers so she can totally explore their inner workings.

Computer talent, math talent, and other intellecual gifts often arise in
places where they are not expected by the current elite. I have spent
many years in the U.S. living near where Benjamin Bannecker once lived.
He was born a slave in the early 1800s, taught himself to read, and
became a world-reknowned astronomer and mathemetician. We have no idea
how many other Benjamin Banneckers the world has wasted through slavery,
posverty, and ignorance. It would be a shame if Mexico wasted this kind
of talent - which surely exists everywhere from mansions to slums if we
seek it out and nurture it - in today's world, where intellectual
property is the most valuable kind, and the open source method of
sharing knowledge is the most efficient way to develop that talent.

Just let me know when you have arrangements made. I look forward to
this. It's a shame that I have am already waiting on reibursement for so
many thousands of dollars worth of travel (and other) expenses that I
can't afford to simply buy tickets for reimbursement. That would make
life easier, but so it goes.

- Robin