[Consol] Más datos de Roblimo

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Wed Jan 1 12:24:23 CST 2003

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf at campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 12:24:06 -0600 (CST)
From: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf at campus.iztacala.unam.mx>
To: robin <robin at roblimo.com>
Subject: Re: Coming to Mexico? We will have a Free Software Conference...

> Since we publish on a 7-day schedule my days off are not fixed -- I have
> "background" duties on almost all OSDN sites, including Slashdot and
> freshmest, don't forget. The main thing is that I have a chance to spend
> 3 - 4 hours daily online to take care of editing and email every day, no
> matter where I am.

Ok... I understood you had a fixed schedule due to your talks at the
University. Don't worry about this - We will have wireless Internet at the
conference site, and probably also at the hotel (although _only_
probably).

> It seems pointless to go through the security hassle of modern airline
> travel for only one or two days - better to come for at least 3, don't
> you think? Plus the fact that I might want to grab a little time to just
> plain hang out; I haven't been to Mexico City since I was a child, back
> in the mid-1960s.

Great! You are welcome since the first day, and you may wish to stay until
Sunday for a social activity we will have - I still don't know what will
it be, but probably Xochimilco, Teotihuacan or something nice and
interesting :)

> I have no problem doing multiple sessions or getting involved with
> people casually, and don't forget that my main knowledge area is the
> *business* side of open source; I am a writer and researcher, not a
> techie. In fact, my recent book is about Internet business and only
> talks about open source in one chapter. This makes me especially
> valuable for dealing with company and government people. I am also a
> full-time, all-the-time Linux user, prepared to demonstrate standard
> office tasks in Linux on my laptop with no preparation. You'll find that
> I'm especially impressive with journalists: I can show them how to
> perform *their* work (which is what I do all day, after all) in Linux,
> right before their eyes. I assure you, this is *not* the same as showing
> off emacs or other programmer-oriented tools...

Ok, this mail goes also to the comitee list - You should understand, most
of us are on vacation... So I still don't have a reply for you. But you
address many important points we want to touch - Business, government and
press :)

> Sadly, my Spanish is rusty and poor. I sound like a retarded 4-year-old
> from Nogales or Hermosillo. I know... I know... that's sad for someone
> who grew up in California and Arizona, but I've lived on the U.S. east
> coast for over 20 years now. (sigh)

At least that sounds _way_ better than most americans :-) But don't worry
about this - Most of our atendees will speak (or, at least, understand)
enough English to take part in your talk. And we may come up with a
solution of simultaneous translation, I am not yet sure on this.

> One other note: There is more to Florida than Miami. I live in
> Bradenton, over 300 miles/500 km away from Miami. The nearest airport to
> my house is Sarasota/Bradenton and the next-closest is Tampa.
>
> Another possibility - if my wife likes this - would be to stay in our
> other little home in Maryland (near Baltimore) and travel to/from there.
> I need to be in New York the 3rd week in January for LWCE anyway, so we
> could simply stay "north" for a few extra weeks. That would mean I'd fly
> out of BWI airport, which is the "low fare" hub for this area.

Ummm... Doing a quick search, from Brandenton I found a $790 fare. From
Tampa, $550. From Maryland, I got $590... So unless our travel agent finds
something better, I think it does not make much difference for us which
city you decide to come from :) Although it may be a bit more pleasant to
spend some days in Florida rather than Maryland this time of year :)

> So you know - I am a cheap and undemanding traveler; I happily fly
> Southwest and other discount airlines, stay in low-cost hotels or
> wherever, and eat the local "working people's food" and drink the
> favorite cheap local beer/booze wherever I go.

So you will feel right home with us :)

We will get you a nice hotel, don't worry about that. About the plane, it
will be the cheapest we find (and, of course, we do not want to get you in
a ultra-budget crazy itinerary - I saw some options going through Chicago
- I would not want you to spend an extra 2-3 hours in flight for a couple
of dollars).

> And if 55 19433804 is a local number, which I believe it is, I can dial
> into my VA Software UUNet account from any decent phone line instead of
> making special arrangements, and I am (of course) equipped to hop onto
> most wired or wireless LANs, no problem. :)

Yes, it is local. And anyway, we can borrow you our dialup accounts.

Ok, I'll tell you if we have news!

Greetings,

- --